If Ken were still with us, and still on the radio, then ohhh… boy.. it would have been a doozy I am sure. For those who don’t know, longtime Washington D.C. sports radio legend Ken Beatrice passed away over the weekend. He was 72.
Ken was a true sports radio original, doing sports radio before there even was the CONCEPT of sports radio. His call-in show on legendary signal WMAL AM-630, was the soundtrack of my youth growing up here. Ken was a master of the craft of radio. And he was a gentleman and a kind soul.
I was lucky enough to have intersected with him for about a year at WTEM 980 around 2000. This week Andy Pollin (who knew him even better, and longer) and I give you the complicated “Behind the Music” on Ken. There are some stories and angles you may have never heard.
Rest in peace, Kenneth. May St. Peter bellow out in a deep Bostonian growl at the pearly gates…. “Yoooooouuurrrr NEXT!”
This Week’s “Sports Reporters Back from the Dead Podcast” Topics
– Ken as the “unimpeachable” oracle of facts and figures
– He was a vintage bullshitter, but how that only made me respect him more
– The real reason had callers call him “in his office” after the show
– How the internet and cable TV, basically ended Ken’s style of show
Then… we deal with the Redskins disaster against the Cowboys
– Why Czabe is bitterly disappointed but not mad
– Andy on Desean’s punt return blunder
– What it will take to win this crappy division
It’s all there for your waiting ears. Just sit back and hit play. And thank you for listening!